Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Arlington "Ollie" Edinboro Playground (St. Nicholas Park)


Before our park hopping adventures began I never knew St. Nicholas Park existed.  Located directly North of Morningside, the parks share a lot of similarities.  There's even a steep hill with a college on top (The City College of New York).  We started at the top of the park and worked our way down.  Ollie Playground was our first stop.  My initial response is "meh."  The equipment is mediocre and the lack of gates make me nervous.  The playground seemed more of a place for neighborhood locals (not just the ones with kids) to convene.  Not that I mind, but it's just one more thing to keep an eye on.  

Highlights
• Open Space

Lowlights
• Non-Kid Adults • No Gate • Non-Working Sprinklers

What It's Got
• 2 Swings • 1 Jungle Gym (Medium) • 2 Slides • Sprinklers (Non-Working) • Basketball/Handball Court • Chess Tables • Trashcans • Picnic Tables •Hard-Rubber/Pavement

What Parents/Nannies Should Know
Multiple Entrances (no gate) • Lots of non-kid adults • Half Shaded • Few Benches (In the playground area) • Bathrooms inside the playground

Nearby
 • King Gourmet Deli

Ratings: (Out of 5)

Sarah: 

Lexi: 
"Those swings are really fun."

Annie:  X 28
"It's a little bit small but big.  And the firepole is too hard for me to swing down."




18 comments:

  1. Too many NOISY events, eith oft vulgar lyrics in area near that playground; inc. in the Basketball court; esp. during Summers. The eve curfew doesn't seem to be observed. A ma told me that she's afriad to bring her child to that playground, 'cuz of certain hangers-on; [paraphrase]. BBQ fumes drift from that park.
    Some folks used to hang out in the park until dawn. Easrplugs don't help against the noise pollutions. "Mister Softee" parks nearby. Too mu7ch double-parking, also. The local gov't doesn'tm seem to care how vile; i.e., NOISY those parties have been oft. I dread weekends; my holdiaty we4ekend was ruined : @ 4 days, by NOISY events in that part of the park. I've been in better parks, other places, kother countries. A certain gradener tries, valiantly, to clean up certain parts of that park. Are the Staff with the ble t-shirts, on Welfare ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank the Parks Dept.for having A man like Mr. Ollie who not only taught me the game of basketball but also how to be a man. He is the grandfather I never had. I remember as a 14 year old trying to keep up with him in his day to day actions during the summer. I was amazed to see all the things he was apart of. He will be in my heart till I die. Mr. Friedston Bowen Sr. 52 years old. 11/ 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Ollie was a great teacher,leader ,role model and more. He's one that gave of himself to help others. - A legend !

      Delete
  3. question, are the non-kid adults able to access the playground or were there signs against it? my roommate is looking for an nyc park with a swing set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

    Paving Annandale & Paving Alexandria

    ReplyDelete
  5. i preferred the information on this website. Would want to check out yet again.

    crushed concrete for sale & Quality Shoreline Restoration in FL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Useful information like this one must be kept and maintained so I will put this one on my bookmark list! Thanks for this wonderful post and hoping to post more of this!

    Parking Lot Striping Atlanta & Concrete contractor Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  7. Contents of the site are generally great as well as appreciative.

    Septic System Repair Worcester & Septic system companies Worcester

    ReplyDelete
  8. Useful information like this one must be kept and maintained so I will put this one on my bookmark list! Thanks for this wonderful post and hoping to post more of this!

    Title 5 inspections Worcester & Septic System Company Worcester

    ReplyDelete
  9. Useful information like this one must be kept and maintained so I will put this one on my bookmark list! Thanks for this wonderful post and hoping to post more of this!

    Roofing Brunswick & Roofing Berea

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    window repairs wimbledon & glazier bromley

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.

    Glaziers in NW7 - Mill Hill & Glaziers in NW8 - St John's Wood

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an amazing blog post. I appreciate this. It share valuable information about on this topic.
    arlington tx concrete contractors

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great blog, usually I don't post comments on blogs, but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so!

    Stain Kitchen Cabinets & Interior house painting 

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it okay to post part of this on my website basically post a hyperlink to this webpage?
    affordable custom home builders

    ReplyDelete